These vegan BBQ Tofu Wraps are so easy to make and a meal that everyone will love! Saucy barbecue tofu shreds are topped with a crunchy homemade coleslaw and then wrapped in your favorite tortilla. They are perfect for summer parties or busy weeknights!
These irresistible barbecue wraps check all the boxes! They are high in protein, loaded with veggies, crunchy yet soft, full of flavor, and incredibly filling!
Classic barbecue wraps are made with chicken or pulled pork. This one is completely vegan! The tasty tofu is crisped up right in the pan before being smothered in delicious barbecue sauce.
The homemade coleslaw is very easy to make and, of course, customizable. I like to add a quick, tangy dressing to it and toss it in the fridge while I make the tofu.
The tofu is cooked in garlic powder, paprika, and cornstarch for a flavorful, crispy bite. Then add your favorite bbq sauce for a spicy, sweet, and tangy bite!
If you love food with barbecue sauce, be sure to check out my Vegan BBQ Chicken Pizza!
For the tortillas, simply use whatever you prefer. I like to get the basic large tortillas, but low-carb, gluten-free, whole wheat, spinach, or lettuce wraps all work.
Get My Latest Recipes Sent Right To Your Inbox! Click Here To Subscribe To My Email List!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Coleslaw - Use a bag of coleslaw mix from the grocery store or simply shred carrots and cabbage if you have them on hand!
- Vegan Mayo - I like Hellmann’s vegan mayonnaise.
- Agave - Either agave nectar or maple syrup add a nice touch of sweetness.
- Apple Cider Vinegar - This adds the tang. White vinegar works as well.
- Dijon Mustard - Spicy or regular mustard can be used instead.
- Seasoning - Just a bit of salt and pepper are needed.
- Tofu - Use firm, extra firm, or super firm tofu.
- Oil - I prefer olive or avocado oil here, but feel free to use any cooking oil.
- Seasoning - Some garlic powder and paprika are delicious on the tofu.
- Cornstarch - This helps add some crispness to the tofu. Arrowroot powder or tapioca starch can be used instead.
- Barbecue Sauce - Use your favorite. I love Stubb’s from Austin, Texas. Just make sure that it doesn't contain honey to keep it vegan.
- Tortillas - Use extra large tortillas of any kind.
- Onion - I think red onion goes really well here, but any other variety are just as good.
- Cilantro - Such a delicious herb here. Feel free to use parsley instead.
How to Make BBQ Tofu Wraps
Here are some quick visual steps. Find the full recipe with exact measurements on the recipe card below.
If you have time, freeze the tofu blocks the night before and defrost them in the microwave when ready.
I like to freeze my tofu blocks for a dense-like texture. Although, you can absolutely skip this step if needed and the barbecue tofu will be just as delicious. Just simply drain and press them for a few minutes.
Mix the coleslaw and homemade dressing together and then chill this while you make the tofu.
Break the tofu up into pieces and then coat it with the seasoning and cornstarch.
Cook the tofu in a pan to dry out the excess moisture and to form some crispness. Then, take it off of the heat and stir in the barbecue sauce.
Assemble the wraps with the tofu, more sauce, coleslaw, raw onions, and cilantro.
Roll them up by folding the end closest to you over. Tuck the sides in and roll the tortilla until it's closed. Keep the wrap seem-side down or shut with your hands as you enjoy!
Recipe Variation Ideas
- Make spicy tofu wraps with fresh jalapeños.
- Toast the assembled wraps in a pan for even more flavor.
- Reduce the carbs by using lettuce leaves instead of tortillas.
- Make Egg Roll In A Bowl with leftover coleslaw.
- Cook Just Egg Breakfast Burritos with the rest of the tortillas.
- Use some of the remaining barbecue sauce for Vegan BBQ Pizza.
Storage & Reheating
Store leftover tofu and coleslaw in separate dishes. When ready, reheat the barbecue tofu in the microwave before assembling the wraps.
Serve Them With
Serve these tasty tofu wraps at your next barbecue along with these vegan dishes...
I hope you love this recipe! Please consider leaving a star rating and comment below. You can get my latest recipes sent directly to your inbox. Click here to subscribe to my email list!
BBQ Tofu Wraps
- 6 large tortillas
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Prepare the Tofu
- If time permits, freeze the tofu blocks the night before. Defrost them in the microwave for 1-2 minutes. This creates a dense texture but it's just fine to skip to the next step.
- Puncture the packages and squeeze out the extra liquid. Wrap the tofu in a clean kitchen towel and press them with a heavy pan or tofu press for 30 minutes.
Make the Coleslaw
- Mix the vegan mayo, agave, apple cider vinegar, dijon, salt, and pepper in a medium-sized bowl. Add the coleslaw mix to it and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate the coleslaw for now so the flavors can deepen.
Make the BBQ Tofu
- Tear the tofu into bite-sized pieces of varying sizes into a large bowl. Sprinkle the garlic powder, paprika, and cornstarch over it. Stir to coat the pieces.
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the oil and then the tofu when it's hot. Let the tofu cook for 10-12 minutes to cook off most of the excess moisture, stirring occasionally.
- Once the tofu has some crispy edges, turn the heat off and stir in the bbq sauce.
Assemble the Wraps
- Add ⅓ cup of tofu to the slight off-center of a large tortilla. Add another drizzle of bbq sauce on top. Top this with coleslaw, red onions, and a few fresh cilantro leaves.
- Cover this filling with one end of the tortilla. Fold the sides of the tortilla toward the center then roll toward the long end until the wrap is sealed. Enjoy!
The nutrition information is estimated and can vary depending on brands and measurements used.