This delicious egg roll in a bowl is perfect for your next weeknight dinner! Healthy sautéed vegetables are topped with a spicy chili-mayo sauce in this low-carb vegan meal. It easily comes together in one pan and in just 20 minutes!
In our house, vegan egg roll in a bowl is our go-to dinner and we LOVE it! It’s a perfect way to change things up when we feel like we’ve been eating the same old stuff over and over.
The shiitake mushrooms serve as an amazing meat replacement, but tofu can easily be added in. This egg roll stir fry also has fresh cabbage, carrots, sweet onions, and green onions.
However, when it comes to veggies, the sky is the limit. Depending on what you have on hand, feel free to toss in edamame, sprouts, cauliflower, etc.
I like to fry a few strips of egg roll wrappers (or wonton) as a garnish because I love their taste and crunch. This part is completely optional, though.
You’ll Love This Inside Out Egg Roll Because It’s…
- Fully customizable
- Great for meal prep
- Ready in 20 minutes
- Filled with lots of fresh veggies
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
Mushrooms - Shiitake mushrooms are delicious in this meal. However, if your grocery store is out of them you can use any other kind, baby bella, white, portabella, etc.
Coleslaw Mix & Cabbage- We want white cabbage, red cabbage, and shredded carrots here. A bag of prepared coleslaw mix makes this recipe so much easier as it will include some or all three of these ingredients.
Onions - I like to use sweet onions within the veggie egg roll filling and scallions (green onions) as a crunchy garnish. The sweet onion can easily be replaced with another type such as red, white, yellow, etc.
Ginger & Garlic - Fresh ginger and garlic are so great here, but you can use them from your spice rack instead. Simply use ½ teaspoon of ground ginger and ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder in place of the fresh forms.
White Pepper - White pepper is a fine, off-white, pepper used in many Asian-inspired dishes. I like it because it adds a lovely layer of heat to this recipe. If you don’t have it, you can use black pepper as a substitute. I use this ground white pepper that you can buy online.
Vinegar - Vinegar adds an irresistible acidic element. I use apple cider vinegar, but white vinegar or rice vinegar work just as well.
Soy Sauce - Aminos or tamari can be used as a replacement for the low-sodium soy sauce.
Chili-Mayo Sauce - Any brand works for the chili sauce and vegan mayonnaise. I use Sriracha and Hellmann’s vegan mayo brands.
How to Make Vegan Egg Roll in a Bowl
Here are some quick visual steps. The full recipe with exact measurements can be found within the recipe card below.
Prepare the Vegetables - Slice the cabbage and mushrooms. Dice the onions, mince the garlic, and grate the ginger. Cut the egg roll wrappers into strips if you’re including them.
Sauté the Mushrooms & Onion - Cook the sweet onions and mushrooms over medium-high heat until they start to soften (about 5 minutes). Stir in the soy sauce, garlic, ginger, vinegar, and white pepper.
Sauté the Rest of the Veggies - Next, add half of the cabbage and carrots to the pan. Continuously stir them around, making sure to scrape the bottom of the pan. After about 3 minutes, add the rest of the cabbage and carrots. Cooking them in half-batches like this allows for more room in the pan and ensures that some of the veggies maintain their crunch. Take the pan off the heat after about 3 more minutes and stir in the sesame oil.
Fry the Egg Roll Wrapper Strips - This step is optional. Heat a thin layer of olive oil in a small pan over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add some egg roll wrapper strips to it in a single layer. Let them fry for about 30 seconds before removing them. Place the egg roll wrapper strips on a plate lined with paper towels.
Make the Chili-Mayo Sauce - Combine the vegan mayonnaise and hot chili sauce in a small bowl. You can drizzle it over the meal with a spoon, but I like to spoon it into a baggie, clip a corner, and squeeze it out.
Serve & Enjoy! - Serve the egg roll filling into a bowl, over rice if you want, and top it with the chili-mayo sauce. Garnish it with sesame seeds, green onions, and optional egg roll wrapper strips.
Recipe Variation Ideas
- Add tofu cubes or crumbles
- Include vegan “chicken” or vegan “beef”
- Toss in other vegetables such as edamame or sprouts
- Serve over white rice, wild rice, cauliflower rice, noodles, or quinoa
More Quick & Easy Vegan Meals
I hope you loved this Vegan Egg Roll in a Bowl! Please leave a star rating and comment below.
Vegan Egg Roll In A Bowl
Egg Roll In A Bowl
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 ounces package shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup sweet onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, low-sodium
- 1 teaspoon ginger root grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 8 ounces bagged coleslaw mix, (white cabbage and carrots)
- 2 cups red cabbage sliced,
- ½ tablespoon sesame oil
- Prepare the ingredients by dicing the sweet onions, and slicing the mushrooms, green onions, and cabbage. Mince the garlic, and peel and grate the ginger. Cut the egg roll wrappers into strips if you’re including them.
- Bring a large pan to medium-high heat on the stove and then add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to it. Add the onions and mushrooms to the pan and sauté them for about 5 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in the soy sauce, garlic, ginger, white pepper, and apple cider vinegar.
- Add half of the cabbage and carrots to the pan. Sauté it for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Then, add the rest of it and sauté it for about 3 more minutes. Keep stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan as it cooks. The vegetables should be slightly softened but still have some crunch.
- Remove the pan from the heat and then stir in the sesame oil. Serve the egg roll filling in a bowl by itself or over rice.
- Mix the chili sauce and vegan mayonnaise in a small bowl until they are fully combined. Drizzle it over the egg roll in a bowl. Garnish the bowl with sesame seeds and sliced green onions.
- Optional Step: Heat a small pan to medium-high heat and add a thin layer of olive oil. Fry the egg roll wrapper strips for about 30 seconds each. Enjoy them as a garnish with the egg roll in a bowl.
Make-AheadCut the veggies and place them in air-tight containers in the refrigerator 2-3 days ahead of time. Use them when you’re ready to cook the egg roll in a bowl. The chili-mayo sauce can be made ahead and stored for 7 days in the refrigerator.
StorageRefrigerator: Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 4 days. Reheat it in the microwave at 30-second intervals, stirring in between. Freezer: Place the egg roll filling in a freezer bag, making sure to squeeze out as much air as possible. Store it in the freezer for 3 months. When ready, let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating it in the microwave.
The nutrition information is estimated and can vary depending on brands and measurements used.