This healthy Tofu Scramble Sandwich is high in protein, easy to make, and so delicious! Toasted, buttery English muffins are stuffed with savory tofu, avocado spread, vegan cheese, and microgreens or sprouts. Prepare these quick cheesy “eggs” for a big breakfast or use them for meal-prep throughout the week!
This irresistible sandwich is perfect for breakfast or brunch and totally customizable!
Change the bread up to bagels, tortillas, biscuits, etc. Stuff them with any other veggies you love. Tomatoes, lettuce, and jalapeños would be so tasty here!
The tofu scrambled eggs are easily prepared with pretty common and easy-to-find ingredients.
The only seasoning that might not be in every kitchen is black salt. Black salt is also called Kala Namak. You can order it from Amazon if you can't find it at your local grocery. It gives an eggy flavor and I like to use it in many of my egg-like recipes.
Reasons To Love This Recipe
- Very filling
- High protein
- Quick and easy
- No eggs, no dairy
- Can be gluten-free
- Great as a make-ahead meal
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Tofu - Use a block of firm or extra firm tofu.
- Oil - Sauté the onions and garlic in your favorite oil such as olive or avocado. You can also use ¼ cup of water for an oil-free meal.
- Onions - Sweet onions or any other variety would work.
- Garlic - Fresh is so good here, but garlic powder can be used instead.
- Plant Milk - Use a bit for a creamy egg sauce. Whatever you have on hand is good as long as it’s unsweetened and unflavored.
- Salt and Pepper - Feel free to adjust this to your preference!
- Black Salt - Also called Kala Namak is great for an egg flavor. You can order it from Amazon if your local grocery store doesn’t have it. A little goes a long way.
- Turmeric - I like to add this to give the scrambled tofu a yellow-orange color and for the anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits.
- Vegan Cheese - Vegan cheddar shreds are melted into the scramble and slices are used for the sandwiches. You can use your favorite kind or omit it. Another tasty option would be 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast instead.
- Muffins - Use any vessel you prefer. English muffins, tortillas, bread, biscuits, or bagels are all great!
- Plant Butter - Spread a little on the toasted English muffins for a buttery sandwich.
- Avocado - Mash some up to use as a spread and for some healthy fats.
- Chives - For an added herb-rich bite, add chives, green onions, or parsley.
- Greens - Sprinkle on some crunchy, nutrient micro greens or sprouts.
How to Make a Tofu Scramble Sandwich
Here are some quick visual steps. Find the full recipe with exact measurements on the recipe card below.
Drain and press the tofu block. I do this by wrapping a kitchen towel around it and then putting a heavy pan on top.
While the tofu is being pressed, prepare the other ingredients and whisk together the egg-flavored sauce.
Next, sauté the onions and garlic until they’re soft.
Add the sauce, tofu pieces, and vegan cheese shreds to the pan.
Stir this scramble occasionally as it cooks for about 10 minutes. During this time, break up some of the bigger tofu clumps with your spoon.
Once the cheese has melted and the excess liquid has cooked off, taste it to see if you would like to add anymore seasoning.
Take the scrambled tofu off of the heat and assemble your breakfast sandwiches.
I like to toast my English muffins and spread vegan butter and mashed up avocado on them. After adding the tofu, I pile up some alfalfa sprouts or micro-greens, chives, and a slice of vegan cheese.
The sky is certainly the limit with the variety of toppings you can add here.
Recipe Variation Ideas
- Sauté the onions with bell pepper or mushrooms.
- Add kale, tomatoes, baby spinach, or jalapeños to the sandwich.
- Bulk it up with some cooked vegan sausage, vegan bacon, or vegan ham.
- Give it a spicy, southwest kick with hot sauce, cayenne, or red pepper flakes.
- Make Vegan Skillet Lasagna or Vegan Scalloped Potatoes with leftover sweet onion.
- Use any remaining avocados to make Vegan Avocado Crema or Tofu Quinoa Bowls.
Storage & Reheating
Refrigerate the scrambled tofu in a sealed container for 5 days or in the freezer for 3 months. Reheat them in the microwave from refrigerated or frozen in a sealed dish at 30-second intervals. It’s best to wait to assemble the sandwiches until just before you’re ready to eat them to prevent the English muffins from becoming soggy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Tofu scramble is a vegan version of scrambled eggs. It has a similar taste, texture, and color. There's the option to include any favorite add-ins such as vegan cheese, vegetables, and plant-based meat. Scrambled tofu is high in protein and quick to prepare. It stores well in the refrigerator or freezer, making it a great option for meal-prep.
Scrambled tofu makes a healthy and filling breakfast! It’s not only high in protein, but the protein is considered a complete protein because it contains the 9 essential amino acids. Unlike chicken eggs, tofu has no cholesterol, which has been linked to heart disease. Tofu scramble is a great base for adding in plenty of vegetables which would further add to the beneficial vitamins and minerals.
More Vegan Brunch Ideas
I hope you love this recipe! Please consider leaving a star rating and comment below. You can get my latest recipes sent directly to your inbox. Click here to subscribe to my email list!
Tofu Scramble Sandwich
For the Tofu Scramble
- 14-16 oz block of super firm or extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup sweet onion, diced, (⅓ of an onion)
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup plant-based milk
- ¼ teaspoon black salt, (Kala Namak)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ cup vegan cheddar shreds, or 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Drain the tofu block and press it for 15 minutes. You can use a tofu press for this or simply wrap it in a lint-free kitchen towel and put something heavy on it such as a cast iron pan.
- Meanwhile, dice the onions and mince the garlic. Make the egg sauce by whisking the plant milk, black salt, salt, pepper, and turmeric together in a small bowl.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the olive oil and then the onions and garlic once it’s hot. Sauté them for 3-4 minutes or until they’re soft.
- Add egg sauce and vegan cheese shreds to the pan. Use your hands to crumble the tofu into 1 inch chunks into the pan. It will break into smaller pieces while it’s cooking.
- Mix everything together and break up some of the bigger tofu pieces as the scramble heats up. Stir occasionally while it cooks for 10 minutes or until most of the excess liquid from the tofu has cooked off and the cheese has melted.
- Taste to see if you would like to add anymore seasoning. Take it off the heat and assemble your sandwiches.
- While the tofu is cooking, toast your English muffins and add vegan butter to the insides of each slice or your favorite sauce. Mash an avocado and spread some of it on the bottom slice. Add ⅓ cup of the scramble, some chives, a pinch of greens, and sliced vegan cheese. Enjoy!
The nutrition information is estimated and can vary depending on brands and measurements used.