Hearty and full of bold flavor, this Vegan Fideo is the ultimate comfort food! When you’re craving something filling, this tomato-rich Mexican noodle soup will hit the spot! Such an easy recipe that’s ready in less than 30 minutes and is one that your whole family will love, especially your little ones!
Fideo is just the hearty meal to have on a chilly day or perhaps when someone isn’t feeling well. Would you believe this one-pan meal comes together with just a few pantry staples?
Just like some of my other recipes, this soup is another bowl of love that my grandmother used to make for us, years ago. She called it “sopa de fideo or sopita,” which translates to “noodle soup” in English.
It's similar to tomato noodle soup but with savory toasted noodles and Spanish flavors. So tasty!
She used chicken stock or chicken bouillon and full-sodium tomato sauce. I’ve changed a few things up and veganized it, but it still brings back so many sweet memories of her.
Reasons You’ll Love this Mexican Noodle Soup
- Quick and easy
- Very filling and has an irresistible flavor
- Lots of vitamins and antioxidants from the tomatoes
Get My Latest Recipes Sent Right To Your Inbox! Click Here To Subscribe To My Email List!
Ingredient Notes And Substitutions
- Fideo - Fideo is a type of dried pasta that you can get at most grocery stores. Some of the brands might call it “cut spaghetti.” If it’s not in the pasta aisle, check the international section. If you can’t find it, you can use thin spaghetti or even vermicelli. You’ll just want to break it up into shorter pieces before cooking. Another option is to use alphabet or star-shaped pasta, which the kiddos will love! Gluten-free pasta works as well.
- Tomato - Canned tomato sauce (low-sodium) and canned diced tomatoes provide the tangy heartiness of this delicious Mexican pasta soup. Freshly diced Roma tomatoes can be used instead.
- Garlic & Onions - The pasta is sautéed along with garlic and white onions. They give the pasta an amazing aromatic flavor as the three of them brown together in olive oil.
- Broth - This easy vega fideo recipe uses low-sodium vegetable broth. You can use water instead, but the broth really provides a great burst of flavor. Another option is to mix vegan Better than Bouillon with water.
- Seasoning - Salt, pepper, oregano, and cumin are the only spices needed here to pull this flavorful dish together!
How to Make Vegan Fideo Soup
- Prepare the Ingredients - Dice the onions and tomatoes. Press or mince the garlic.
- Sauté the Onions - Heat a large saucepan to medium-high heat. Add olive oil once the pan is heated, then add the onions. Sauté them for 1-2 minutes or until they are slightly translucent.
- Add the Garlic and Fideo - Add the garlic and fideo noodles to the pan. Stir frequently for 3 minutes as the pasta starts to brown. You want the noodles nice and toasted for the best flavor!
- Make the Soup - Add the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and seasoning to the pan. Bring the heat down to medium, cover the pan, and occasionally stir as the soup cooks for 15-20 minutes.
- Enjoy! - The soup is ready when the noodles have softened. Garnish it with optional cilantro, raw onions, and lime juice before you enjoy it!
- Use less salt if your tomato sauce and broth are not low-sodium.
- If you can’t find fideo at your grocery store, use thin spaghetti or vermicelli instead. Just break it up into smaller pieces before you sauté it.
- Toss in veggies such as zucchini, squash, or carrots.
- Add red pepper flakes, chili powder, or jalapeño slices for a spicy kick.
- Make it gluten-free by simply replacing the fideo with gluten-free noodles.
- Use alphabet (sopita de letras) or star-shaped (sopita de estrellas) pasta instead.
Make-Ahead or Leftovers
This vegan fideo can be made ahead of time and reheated when you’re ready to eat it. It will thicken up a little bit but will be just as delicious!
- Store leftovers in a closed container in the refrigerator for 4 days or in the freezer for 3 months.
- Reheat the soup in the microwave or on the stovetop. Add some water or vegetable broth to thin it out as you’re reheating it.
- For another comforting and hearty soup, try this Vegan Potato Soup!
- Roasted Ranchero Sauce or Vegan Walking Tacos both have a similar delicious Mexican-food flavor to them.
I hope you love this recipe! Please consider leaving a star rating and comment below. You can get my latest recipes sent directly to your inbox. Click here to subscribe to my email list!
- Dice the onions and tomatoes. Press or mince the garlic.
- Pour the olive oil into a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions to the pan and sauté them until they are slightly translucent (1-2 minutes).
- Add the garlic and uncooked fideo noodles to the pan. Stir frequently as the pasta starts to brown (3 minutes).
- Stir in the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and seasoning. Lower the heat to medium and cover the pan. Stir the soup occasionally as it cooks for 15-20 minutes.
- The fideo is ready when the noodles have softened. Garnish the soup with optional fresh cilantro, raw onions, and lime juice.
- Add less salt if your tomato sauce and broth are not low-sodium.
- Use thin spaghetti or vermicelli if you can't find fideo at the store. Break it up into 1-inch pieces before you sauté it
The nutrition information is estimated and can vary depending on brands and measurements used.